Several clinical reports have been published on complications resulting from swallowing multiple magnetic foreign bodies. This study aimed to summarize the clinical experience of managing children who swallowed multiple magnetic foreign bodies.
We reviewed the clinical records of five children who swallowed multiple magnetic foreign bodies and were admitted to our hospital during June 2012 to June 2014. Details of the patients' presentation, imaging studies, complications and treatment were recorded.
All five children suffered from gastrointestinal perforation and intestinal obstruction. The magnetic foreign bodies caused local bowel wall tissue ischemia necrosis and perforation as well as other complications associated with fistula formation. The magnets were finally removed by laparotomy surgery.
If magnetic foreign bodies cannot be removed by endoscopy, an operation is suggested as soon as possible to avoid serious complications.