Κυριακή, 11 Μαρτίου 2018

A new anatomical insight into the aetiology of lateral trunk of suprascapular nerve neuropathy: isolated infraspinatus atrophy.

Related Articles

A new anatomical insight into the aetiology of lateral trunk of suprascapular nerve neuropathy: isolated infraspinatus atrophy.

Surg Radiol Anat. 2018 Mar 09;:

Authors: Fabis-Strobin A, Topol M, Fabis J, Niedzielski K, Podgorski M, Strobin L, Polguj M

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Although the pathomechanism of isolated infraspinatus atrophy (ISA) in throwing sports is known to be traction, it is unclear why only some players are affected. One likely explanation is that the infraspinatus pulling force exerted by its contracture generate the compressive resultant component force (Fn) compressing the lateral trunk of the suprascapular nerve (LTSN) against the edge of scapular spine. This paper makes two key assumptions (1) the course of LTSN in relation to the scapular spine, defined as the suprascapular-scapular spine angle (SSSA) is the key individual anatomical feature influencing the Fn magnitude, and thus potentially ISA development (2) SSSA is correlated with scapular notch type.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: The bone landmarks of the LTSN course were identified in 18 formalin-fixed cadaveric shoulders, and the SSSA was measured in 101 dry scapulae. The correlation between the SSSA and suprascapular notch type was evaluated. The Fn value was simulated mathematically based on the values of the SSSA of 101 dry scapulae and the prevalence of ISA in chosen throwing sports, as given in the literature: i.e., beach volleyball - 34% (group A1 - 34%; group A2-remaining 66% of scapulae) and tennis - 52% (group B1 - 52%; group B2-remaining 48% of scapulae).
RESULTS: The mean SSSA value was 44.57° (± 7.9) and Fn 79 N (± 13.1). No statistically significant correlation was revealed between suprascapular notch type and SSSA. Groups A1 and B1 possessed significantly lower SSSA values (p < 0.000) and significantly higher Fn magnitude (p < 0.000) than groups A2 and B2 respectively. The average difference of Fn was 28.1% between group A1 and A2 and 31% between group B1 and B2.
CONCLUSIONS: The SSSA has a wide range of values depending on the individual: the angle influencing the magnitude of the compressive resultant force Fn on the LTSN at the lateral edge of the scapular spine via contraction of the infraspinatus muscle. The prevalence of ISA in throwing sports may be correlated with the SSSA of the LTSN. However, further combined clinical, MRI or/and CT studies are needed to confirm this.

PMID: 29523911 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]



from Imaging via alkiviadis.1961 on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2IhUwMt

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις