Παρασκευή 5 Ιανουαρίου 2018

Dedicated Afternoon Rounds for ICU Patients' Families and Family Satisfaction With Care.

Dedicated Afternoon Rounds for ICU Patients' Families and Family Satisfaction With Care.

Crit Care Med. 2018 Jan 03;:

Authors: Weber U, Johnson J, Anderson N, Knies AK, Nhundu B, Bautista C, Huang KB, Hamza M, White J, Coppola A, Akgün KM, Greer DM, Marcolini EG, Gilmore EJ, Petersen NH, Timario N, Poskus K, Sheth KN, Hwang DY

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: It was hypothesized that adding dedicated afternoon rounds for patients' families to supplement standard family support would improve overall family satisfaction with care in a neuroscience ICU.
DESIGN: Pre- and postimplementation (pre-I and post-I) design.
SETTING: Single academic neuroscience ICU.
PATIENTS: Patients in the neuroscience ICU admitted for longer than 72 hours or made comfort measures only at any point during neuroscience ICU admission.
INTERVENTION: The on-service attending intensivist and a neuroscience ICU nursing leader made bedside visits to families to address concerns during regularly scheduled, advertised times two afternoons each week.
MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: One family member per patient during the pre-I and post-I periods was recruited to complete the Family Satisfaction in the ICU 24 instrument. Post-I respondents indicated whether they had participated in the afternoon rounds. For primary outcome, the mean pre-I and post-I composite Family Satisfaction in the ICU 24 scores (on a 100-point scale) were compared. A total of 146 pre-I (March 2013 to October 2014; capture rate, 51.6%) and 141 post-I surveys (October 2014 to December 2015; 47.2%) were collected. There was no difference in mean Family Satisfaction in the ICU 24 score between groups (pre-I, 89.2 ± 11.2; post-I, 87.4 ± 14.2; p = 0.6). In a secondary analysis, there was also no difference in mean Family Satisfaction in the ICU 24 score between the pre-I respondents and the 39.0% of post-I respondents who participated in family rounds. The mean Family Satisfaction in the ICU 24 score of the post-I respondents who reported no participation trended lower than the mean pre-I score, with fewer respondents in this group reporting complete satisfaction with emotional support (75% vs. 54%; p = 0.002), coordination of care (82% vs. 68%; p = 0.03), and frequency of communication by physicians (60% vs. 43%; p = 0.03).
CONCLUSIONS: Dedicated afternoon rounds for families twice a week may not necessarily improve an ICU's overall family satisfaction. Increased dissatisfaction among families who do not or cannot participate is possible.

PMID: 29300237 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]



from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2CIeqB9
via IFTTT

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις