Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) is an aggressive malignancy with a poor prognosis. Gemcitabine, as a single agent or in combination therapy, remains the frontline chemotherapy despite its limited efficacy due to de novo or acquired chemoresistance. There is an acute need to decipher mechanisms underlying chemoresistance and identify new targets to improve patient outcomes. Here, we report a novel role for the ST6Gal-I sialyltransferase in gemcitabine resistance. Utilizing MiaPaCa-2 and BxPC-3 PDAC cells, we found that knockdown (KD) of ST6Gal-I expression, as well as removal of surface α2–6 sialic acids by neuraminidase, enhances gemcitabine-mediated cell death assessed via clonogenic assays and cleaved caspase 3 expression. Additionally, KD of ST6Gal-I potentiates gemcitabine-induced DNA damage as measured by comet assays and quantification of γH2AX foci. ST6Gal-I KD also alters mRNA expression of key gemcitabine metabolic genes, RRM1, RRM2, hENT1, and DCK, leading to an increased gemcitabine sensitivity ratio, an indicator of gemcitabine toxicity. Gemcitabine-resistant MiaPaCa-2 cells display higher ST6Gal-I levels than treatment-naïve cells along with a reduced gemcitabine sensitivity ratio, suggesting that chronic chemotherapy selects for clonal variants with more abundant ST6Gal-I. Finally, we examined Suit2 PDAC cells and Suit2 derivatives with enhanced metastatic potential. Intriguingly, three metastatic and chemoresistant subclones, S2-CP9, S2-LM7AA, and S2-013, exhibit up-regulated ST6Gal-I relative to parental Suit2 cells. ST6Gal-I KD in S2-013 cells increases gemcitabine-mediated DNA damage, indicating that suppressing ST6Gal-I activity sensitizes inherently resistant cells to gemcitabine. Together, these findings place ST6Gal-I as a critical player in imparting gemcitabine resistance and as a potential target to restore PDAC chemoresponse.
from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2BfQwHE
via IFTTT
Εγγραφή σε:
Σχόλια ανάρτησης (Atom)
Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις
-
Women in Love by . Lawrence. Searchable etext. Discuss with other readers. from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Ino...
-
Dracaena cochinchinensis Lour. is an ethnomedicinally important plant used in traditional Chinese medicine known as dragon’s blood. Excessiv...
-
IJMS, Vol. 18, Pages 1603: Induction of a Regulatory Phenotype in CD3+ CD4+ HLA-DR+ T Cells after Allogeneic Mixed Lymphocyte Culture; Indic...
-
by Huiyuan Zhu, Lian Zhang, Yali Wang, Preeti Hamal, Xiaofang You, Haixia Mao, Fei Li, Xiwen Sun The aim of this study was to assess whethe...
-
Abstract Combating gliomagenic global immunosuppression is the one of the emerging key for improving prognosis in malignant glioma. Apopt...
-
<span class="paragraphSection"><div class="boxTitle">Abstract</div><div class="boxTitle"...
-
by Emily M. Zygiel, Karen A. Noren, Marta A. Adamkiewicz, Richard J. Aprile, Heather K. Bowditch, Christine L. Carroll, Maria Abigail S. Cer...
-
A guide to nursing education. Includes a directory of nursing schools, nursing programs, nursing colleges and online nursing degrees. from...
-
Purpose People with type 2 diabetes (T2D) have a doubled morbidity and mortality risk compared with persons with normal glucose tolerance. D...
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου