Type I interferons represent a unique and complex group of cytokines, serving many purposes during innate and adaptive immunity. Discovered in the context of viral infections, type I IFNs are now known to have myriad effects in infectious and autoimmune disease settings. Type I IFN signaling during bacterial infections is dependent on many factors including whether the infecting bacterium is intracellular or extracellular, as different signaling pathways are activated. As such, the repercussions of type I IFN induction can positively or negatively impact the disease outcome. This review focuses on type I IFN induction and downstream consequences during infection with the following intracellular bacteria: Chlamydia trachomatis, Listeria monocytogenes, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, Francisella tularensis, Brucella abortus, Legionella pneumophila, and Coxiella burnetii. Intracellular bacterial infections are unique because the bacteria must avoid, circumvent, and even co-opt microbial “sensing” mechanisms in order to reside and replicate within a host cell. Furthermore, life inside a host cell makes intracellular bacteria more difficult to target with antibiotics. Because type I IFNs are important immune effectors, modulating this pathway may improve disease outcomes. But first, it is critical to understand the context-dependent effects of the type I IFN pathway in intracellular bacterial infections.
from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2p38qKQ
via IFTTT
Εγγραφή σε:
Σχόλια ανάρτησης (Atom)
Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις
-
Abstract Objectives Our aims were to examine the prevalence and genetic predictors of aspirin and clopidogrel high on-treatment platelet...
-
Treatment satisfaction among men with concurrent benign prostatic hyperplasia and erectile dysfunction treated with tadalafil or other ...
-
Mammalian sperm feature a specialized secretory organelle on the anterior part of the sperm nucleus, the acrosome, which is essential for ma...
-
from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2oZPcWt via IFTTT
-
Labor is regarded as increased myometrial activity with a regular contractility pattern. At this final stage of pregnancy, myometrial quiesc...
-
Related Articles Aneurysmal Parent Artery-Specific Inflow Conditions for Complete and Incomplete Circle of Willis Configurations...
-
PIK3CA mutations are associated with resistance to HER2-targeted therapies. We previously showed that HER2+/PIK3CAH1047R transgenic mammary ...
-
Related Articles Video Nasoendoscopic-Assisted Transoral Adenoidectomy with the PEAK PlasmaBlade: A Preliminary Report of a Case Serie...
-
In the light of scarce resources to be allocated for cancer care and a steady stream of costly innovations in all modalities applied to trea...
-
Abstract Background The small portion of leukemic stem cells (LSCs) in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) present in children and adolescents ...
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου