Respiratory complex I couples electron transfer between NADH and ubiquinone to proton translocation across an energy-transducing membrane, to support the proton-motive force that drives ATP synthesis. The proton-pumping stoichiometry of complex I (i.e. the number of protons pumped for each two electrons transferred) underpins all mechanistic proposals. However, it remains controversial and has not been determined for any of the bacterial enzymes that are exploited as model systems for the mammalian enzyme. Here, we describe a simple method for determining the proton-pumping stoichiometry of complex I in inverted membrane vesicles under steady-state ADP-phosphorylating conditions. Our method exploits the rate of ATP synthesis, driven by oxidation of NADH or succinate with different sections of the respiratory chain engaged in catalysis, as a proxy for the rate of proton translocation, and determines the stoichiometry of complex I by reference to the known stoichiometries of complexes III and IV. Using vesicles prepared from mammalian mitochondria (from Bos taurus) and from the bacterium Paracoccus denitrificans, we show that four protons are pumped for every two electrons transferred in both cases. By confirming the four-proton stoichiometry for mammalian complex I and, for the first time, demonstrating the same value for a bacterial complex, we establish the utility of P. denitrificans complex I as a model system for the mammalian enzyme. P. denitrificans is the first system described in which mutagenesis in any complex I core subunit may be combined with quantitative proton-pumping measurements for mechanistic studies.
from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2k0TonS
via IFTTT
Εγγραφή σε:
Σχόλια ανάρτησης (Atom)
Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις
-
2016-09-24T01-16-18Z Source: International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences Biswajit Majumder, Viral Tandel, Sandip Ghosh, Sharmis...
-
JPM, Vol. 8, Pages 5: Acknowledgement to Reviewers of Journal of Personalized Medicine in 2017 Journal of Personalized Medicine doi: 10.339...
-
Antibodies, Vol. 7, Pages 6: In-Depth Comparison of Lysine-Based Antibody-Drug Conjugates Prepared on Solid Support Versus in Solution Anti...
-
This paper proposes an enhanced ant colony optimization with dynamic mutation and ad hoc initialization, ACODM-I, for improving the accuracy...
-
No large-scale, head-to-head, phase III, randomized, controlled trial with an adequate sample size has investigated the effect of concurrent...
-
by Alison M. Hixon, Guixia Yu, J. Smith Leser, Shigeo Yagi, Penny Clarke, Charles Y. Chiu, Kenneth L. Tyler In 2014, the United States exp...
-
Accumulating data have indicated that citrus polymethoxyflavones (PMFs) have the ability to affect brain function. In the present study, we ...
-
ACS Nano DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.7b02426 from #AlexandrosSfakianakis via Alexandros G.Sfakianakis on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2h1neaG via...
-
Related Articles Long-acting insulin allergy in a diabetic child. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2017 Apr 01;:394632017700431 Authors...
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου